Learning how to meal prep on a budget is not difficult, but it does require discipline and a bit of ingenuity. Remember: no matter how tempting it might be to grab cheap fast food or a bag of chips for dinner, there is no substitute for a well-balanced, healthy meal. Here are a few tips to help you learn how to meal prep on a budget:
- Use portion control meal prep containers. With these type of containers, you are more likely to avoid overeating and save money since you will be able to pack less food.
- Plan, plan, and plan some more! Although it seems intimidating at first, once you get a routine down, it will save a considerable amount of time and money. When getting started, we recommend that you use a calendar to plan out your meals before you hit the grocery store.
- Purchase things in bulk. It might initially seem silly to buy 5 pounds of chicken at once. While you might not eat all of it this week, you should purchase it in bulk to save yourself money now and time later. What you don’t use this week can be portioned, frozen, and used at a later date.
- Don’t be afraid to try generic brands. Make sure that you compare prices and nutritional info between generic and name brand items. Generic items are generally are often just as good as name brand ones and are often cheaper.
- Purchase seasonal. Save money at the grocery store by purchasing produce that is in season. Fruits and vegetables are often cheaper when they’re in season because they don’t have to be shipped in from other areas of the country.
- Make your own snacks. Finally, instead of buying additive rich, expensive snacks, why not make your own? Trail mix is a great example. In addition to saving you money, you’ll also make sure that you have the energy to make through another busy day without your blood sugar crashing.
Thanks for visiting Meal Preppies!